The electrical demands we place on our homes today is far greater than that of even the last couple of decades. New high-efficiency appliances, devices, and gadgets are being developed in exponentially higher numbers every year. But as we add these components to our homes, we don’t always think about the implications it may have on our electrical system.
While in some cases an electrical panel upgrade may be what you need to ensure that your electric system is working efficiently—and safely—if your home is older then you may need new whole-house wiring all together. Whatever your needs are, you can rely on our team for quality Jacksonville, FL electrical services.
When Your Wiring May Be Outdated
If you’ve owned your home for over 40 years and have never upgraded your wiring—or if you’ve purchased your home within the last 4 decades and are unsure if any wiring updates have been made—you’d do very well to consider having a professional electrician take a look at your wiring needs.
Other signs that your wiring might be outdated include a home that is only equipped with 2-prong sockets with no 3-prong sockets, or you see any type of damage or cracks to outlets, switch plates, or the walls surrounding your home’s outlets.
Other Signs Your Home Needs New Wiring
Regardless of your home’s age, or the age of your wiring, there are a few signs to watch out for that could indicate it’s time to invest in professional rewiring services, which we’ve highlighted below.
- Tripped Circuit Breakers: Every once in awhile you may notice a tripped circuit breaker. This is particularly true for the breaker connected to your air conditioner. Your HVAC system already consumes about half of your energy, and when you think about how much you use it, it’s only natural that it overloads the breaker at times. However, if this is occurring on a frequent basis, it means that your appliances may be overheating, or that the wiring connected to the breakers is faulty and unable to keep up with your home’s electrical demands.
- You Have Aluminum Wiring: The Consumer Product Safety Commission advises that failing aluminum wire connections can cause significant damage. As they overheat, they raise the risk of an electrical fire. If your home was built between 1965 and 1973, this is certainly something you want to have checked.
- Charred or Discolored Switches and Outlets: This is a definite sign that at some point there was a short in your electrical system. This could have been caused by a loose connection or by faulty wiring near the outlet or switch and is a sign that a small fire occurred. While this type of spark or arcing typically causes minimal damage, ignoring it can lead to the wiring itself catching fire.
- Persistent Burning Smell: Have you noticed a persisting burning smell, but can’t find the source? It’s quite possible that there was an electrical short somewhere within your electric system. If you don’t notice any discoloration on outlets or switched, the short might have been from wiring within the walls. This should never be ignored! Be sure to shut off the appropriate circuit breaker (or multiple breakers if you are unsure which one to turn off) and give our electricians a call right away.
For quality electrical work done right the first time, you can trust AA Service and Repair-North Florida AC.
Contact us today!